I would be cautious in doing this.  Most Motherboard manufacturers will
warn you that flashing your bios with an upgrade from there own site can
be a risk (i.e. buy an asus board, go to the asus web site two months
later and download the newer bios version).  Like they say, "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it".  The reason for this is basically that a fix or a
tweak in one are can cause something else to not work correctly.  I have
flashed my bios because with the last computer that I built, I chose a
motherboard that had a shutdown problem with Linux; the maker of the
board corrected the issue with a bios update.  If you have an older
computer (like an old pentium 100) however, you may have nothing to lose
and possibly some performance to gain.  I would say if you have anything
new, like an Athlon or a P3, you don't stand to gain enough (unless you
just like tweaking stuff).

Mike