There is an OpenBIOS project and some Beowulf clusters use linux as their
BIOS  (the kernel is about 500K and some BIOS chips have 2Mb).

A great deal of progress is being reported in this unlikely spot....

www.linux-hacker.net/iopener

It seems Netpliance came unglued when they learned their precious appliance
was being made into a linux box and they have been altering their BIOS....
The messages are quite interesting, and the hackers exploiting the $99
computer from Netpliance are carrying the state of the art forward at quite
a respectable pace--staying a jump ahead of Netpliance, anyway.

It is a hacking sort of thing, yet, and there are no guarantees that their
procedures will not smoke your system, create a black hole or polymorph you
into an octopus.

Civileme

--
BETA-testing Netscape 6