bascule....if, as you said in your previous message, mandrake
won't boot, then how is mandrake giving you partition info?

If you can get mandrake running then please post the output of
fdisk /dev/hda using the p command and fdisk /dev/sda using the
p command.  Also post the contents of your /etc/lilo.conf.

If you deleted a partition on the ide drive and was hda1 then
hda2 is now the first partition on the drive and I'd guess that
you've probably moved it into the space vacated by sda1 when you
deleted it.  This doesn't change what linux calls it.

Alan