I prefer 80X25 when in command-line mode (sometimes, there
just isn't any reason to start X :) most of the time.
However, there are times when more lines would be useful
when using emacs to modify longer text files.  I know the
resolution can be changed in lilo for startup (in
/etc/lilo.conf or type "linux vga=ask" on startup when lilo
asks for which OS), then on startup press enter to see
available options and choose one.  However, I don't want to
reboot each time I want to switch VGA modes.  Is there a way
to do this 'on the fly'?

Again, this is NOT it X, this is purely while doing
command-line stuff without ever starting X.