On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, RDM wrote:

> Ok, here goes, gang . . . I'm a 42 y/o (male) RN on my 5th or 6th
> computer, now. (So much for knowing computer programming, etc.) I have
> done Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, & 98, and some version of Mac once, on one
> "Macintosh" I had  (at home),  and Windows NT at work.
>
> I understand basic options, with Windows, for management, scandisk,
> defrag, Norton's Utilities, etc.
>
> The other day, I gave up on Windows 98, and installed Linux-Mandrake
> 6.5, and let me say, first, that I LOVE it. It is SO much more stable!
How right you are!
I think that only people unable to understand how it works or only willing
to play games prefer windows to linux.

> That said, onward . . . (1) I've no sound, except rare beeps from the
> main computer when I click on something I'm not supposed to click on. I
> can't hear anything at all from the speakers;
Try to run sndconfig from a command line. If it doesn't work give us more
details about the card you are using.

> (2) How to get "out" of
> KDE into basic text=driven Linux to run command lines;
Two choices : you can run a terminal emulation from within your wm. There
is xterm, kterm, rxvt, eterm, and still more.
Or you can just hit ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2, F3, ..., F6) to go to a
fullscreen text console. ctrl+alt+F7 will bring you back into your
Xwindow.

> (4) how to decompress *.gz files, and
> install, because I wanted to upgrade my Netscape to a 128 bit
> encryption, and I don't know how;
You can find rpm versions of netscape. But you have to know how to handle
archives :
If there is just a .gz extension, you can decompress it with gunzip.
If there is a .tar.gz suffix, you can unzip and untar in only one command:
tar zxf filename.tar.gz. This also works for .tgz files.

> (5) how to work with WINE - I got WINE
> in a RPM format, ran it (via "root"), and it said it installed, but I
> couldn't find anything to click on, and never knew how to access it;
First, you configure it by editing the /etc/wine.conf file, then you run
your program by giving its name as an argument to wine :
wine /mnt/DOS_hda1/windows/notepad.exe

> (6) I tried to install gnucash and xaccount, and the OS called for
> libXm.so.1, libjpeg.so.6, and libXXm.so.2, which, upon research, I found
> out to be "Motif" files, not that I know what that is, of course (I
> don't);
You have to install some packages (that stand on the mdk CD). I can't
remember which one. To find that, mount your mdk CD and try this command
line :
  for i in /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm ; do
  rpm -qp --provides $i |grep libjpeg && echo $i
  done
and it should tell you what package provides the libjpeg libraries.
confused? Run man rpm (-> query options)

HTH
Flupke