> > What's mandrake-linux like?
> RH with some extra bits
> > Is it stable?..
> is anything?
> i haven't had it die yet, applications and demons will crash from time to
> time,
> but i haven't had anything kill the kernel yet.
>
> > Configuration easy?
> fairly,
> few points to look out for,
> ide cd-rw 's,
>  if your bios manufacturer has removed support for the function that tells
> you how much ram is in the computer you'll have to set it buy hand.
>
> > Is the powerpack worth buying?
> yep,

shure is

> 1:- you get loads of apps so you don't have to download them
> 2:- the howto's are included which will be a great help if your new to linux
> 3:- you're supporting the cause.

+ your getting two printed 'manuals'

> I'd wait until 7.1 is released,
> the kernel should be a lot better and detect more hardware (eg how much ram
> you have)

The 7.0 does that - but why it detects mine 256 Mb as 254 I don't understand.

> X windows should be quicker and less memory hungry
> it should have a lot of the bugs in 7.0 fixed.

That sounds great - as mentioned above I have 256 Mb (and a K6-3 400), but when
I am working with photo-scans (25 - 30 Mb files) in GIMP, it constantly uses al
of the ram, so I get 'delayed' in progress. Sometimes it seems as if it don't
'clear' memory when I moves on to the next picture - I have only 2 undo-levels.

Regard
Mogens Jęger