That or  .. Mandrake used the bash shell naming the profile as .bahs_profile,
not .profile .. Bash will look for ~/.bash_profile first and then it will search
for ~/.profile if .bash_profile is not found.

Placing the stuff in .bash_profile will also work. It's more user dependent than
/etc/profile where all users of the bash environment will read it (if the
.bash_profile or .bashrc is set to read it .. Defaults to read)

read 'man bash' for more information about where bash looks for your profile
information.

philip