If you are using the Bash shell, then .profile will work, unless you
already have a file called .bash_profile.
Bash, if I remember correctly, looks for the following files in this
order: ~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, /etc/profile. When it finds one, it
doesn't look any further.

Put everything in your .profile in the .bash_profile, and remove
.profile. It's always best to have one or the other, both would get you
confused unless you know exactly how bash is asking appon login.

-- philip

>Hi
>
>Today I've downloaded qt-2.0.2 as it is needed by the latest version of licq.
>To install I have needed to create a file ~/.profile in my home directory
>according to the instructions in the INSTALL file (just a case of cut and
>paste
>really).
>I have logged out and back in again as instructed to set the new file
>but when running ./configure I still get an error saying:
>
>The variable QTDIR is not set correctly.  It is currently set to "" but it
>should be set to this directory which is "/usr/local/qt".
>
>The problem is that the above mention variable is set to /usr/local/qt.
>Do I have to compile this file with gcc or something
>Thanks
>
>--
>Andrew
>Blackburn
>England
>
>--In the pursuit of knowledge
>    Everyday something is aquired--
> (Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching)

Eagles may soar, but weasel don't get sucked into jet engines