Hi Paul,

Tried that and no good. There are a few odd things now - when running
sndconfig and the sample sound is attempted, an error is displayed about not
accessing /dev/audio. I checked the permissions and it was set to root/sys. I
changed it to root/audio and also root/root - made no difference. Same
problem happens now when I try to run kmixer - trouble accessing /dev/mixer.
Changing the permissions 'seem' to help - at least mixer will run, but then,
if I reboot - it all goes back to how it was. When running the sound config
tool in Drakconf/Hardware, the test sound will play, but when clicking OK, an
error message is displayed about accessing the directory you mentioned -
/dev/dsp, even after your suggested change. Also, if in the KDE Control
Center I try to display system information about sound, nothing is listed for
any of the devices. I figure the driver has to be OK if CDs play, but I don't
know where to look for this .wav problem, especially since all was fine in
7.02. I can't seem to find documentation about trouble-shooting sound
problems.

thx,
philomena