N-
You seem quite knowledgeable about the rebuilding process so I will put to
you a question that I asked on one of the redhat lists and has yet to be
answered.

I am trying to re-compile a recent wine release from a src.rpm file.  The
./configure script trips when it tries to find the file X11/xpm.h, insisting
that I should install xpm and xpm-devel packages, and then quits.  The
packages xpm-3.4k-1 and xpm-devel-3.4k-1 are both installed on my system and
the file /usr/X11R6/inlcude/X11/xpm.h exists.

On someone else's suggestion, I tried to CFLAGS ="-I$CFLAGS
/usr/X11R6/include".  Then ./configure returns:

checking whether the C compiler (gcc /usr/X11R6/include ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables

I also tried to CFLAGS ="$CFLAGS /usr/X11R6/include"...(without the -I) and
ended up with the same response I initially had.

Any thoughts?
Paul Kaplan