On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I don't know, I seem to get better download times on my Win2k box than
> either of my Win98 or Linux boxes... let the flames begin!!!  Seriously
> though, on any of your OS's you can tweak the settings to allow different
> connections.  Not all hardware is created the same - you're using a 28.8
> modem, Windows may be optimized for the 56k flavour.  I'm connected via dsl
> on a lan and I honestly have noticed considerably higher download speeds on
> Win2k.  (Me thinks it's time to play with all my settings!)
>
> Mike

   I agree Mike. Hardware, OS, phone lines, ISP, all are variables
in the mix.  I got rid of my 56k modem and put back in an old 33,6
Phoebe built on a Texas Instruments chipset.  I get better
connections with the 33,6 since my phone lines are only 28,8
capable.  I put this line at the end of 'rc.local'
'setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_vhi' (my modems on Com2) and in the
arguments section of Kppp I have 'mtu 576'.  Connection speed for
both my ISP's either Windoze or Mandrake is about the same. I
rarely use Windows to connect tho, it's not a good idea.  I usually
get 3+k/sec downloads from most sites running as user.
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]