Not too long ago I read an article that discussed this.

Apparently (and I've long forgotten the specifics) if you have an in line
Surge Suppressor, your UPS & Surge suppressor can get into a round
robin/feedback type situation wherein you end up damaging the equipment
after it gets a spike or two.

Since most suppressors are only good for one or two spikes, and by all
rights you should not need one if you have a good UPS (that does this for
you) you might be safer avoiding it.

Most people don't realize that you must replace the surge suppressor every
six months or so...

-JMS