Thanks for the explanation.

I bumped into the same problem a few days ago when installing Linux for
the first time.
I gave up solving the problem and have been booting from a floppy,
trusting that eventually I'd run across a solution (as I became more
familiar with Linux).

My Mandrake 7.1 disks are on their way, so that should take care of it.

Thanks!
KC