On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Darryl Gibson wrote:

>The web page will be on a "free" ISP providers machine.
>
>Our Oracle guru passed on the project, so being the clubs Linux "guru,"
>and not knowing any better, I volunteered to take on the project.
>
>So today I went in search of a Linux database on Freshmeat, and MUO, and
>was dismayed not to find a database application. Nor did I find any
>apps. in KDE that would seem to fit the bill.
>
>Any suggestions on how I might accomplish this task?

MySQL would do for a database system, those bases are good. (Still have
not worked this out on my own machine, lack of time, so no experience
between chair and keyboard here.)

>Do I need an HTML compliant database? CGI?

CGI would be good, or Perl support. Perl can access all kinds of databases
and/or file types. CGI would however require a webserver, afaik.

>Can Gnumeric function as a database?

Doubtful. It is a GNome-based spreadsheetprogram, not something that would
work on a web-server.

Do you intend to manage the data offline, generate a bunch of fresh pages
and whop those on the web? Perhaps a program like text2html would then
work for you? I have seen this in use on several sites. Should not be too
hard to track that down.

Just some suggestions.

Paul

--
Women speak two languages, one of which is verbal.
-Steve Rubenstein

)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
Registered  Linux  User   174403