On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Darryl Gibson wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> A club I belong to wants to create a web site to track it's membership's
> status, attendance, activity participation etc...
>
> The club would like the web site to have the following features:

really not that tough.

> Accessibility to all members, but not the world. (or just the top page
> open to the world, and the sub pages "hidden."

Use subdirs with access control.

> Officers and designated members, can maintain and update the site, but
> not the general membership.

Passwords and users allow this.

> The web page will be on a "free" ISP providers machine.

In other words the default 5 gig you get with an ISP?

> Our Oracle guru passed on the project, so being the clubs Linux "guru,"
> and not knowing any better, I volunteered to take on the project.

SUCKER!!! :-)

> So today I went in search of a Linux database on Freshmeat, and MUO, and
> was dismayed not to find a database application. Nor did I find any
> apps. in KDE that would seem to fit the bill.

Take a look at MySQL. Combine that with phpMyAdmin and you have a perfect
combination. Ask nice, advertise Mandrake and I may help you out further.

Seriously, on your Mandrake distro disks you have almost everything you
need to do this. I can probably package phpMyAdmin later this week so you
can have that if you prefer an RPM. (hmmm... have to look, I may already
have packaged. check cooker).

> Any suggestions on how I might accomplish this task?

Yes, use the default tools with your distro. Install the mandrake server
or develop option and you have all you need.

> Can Netscape Composer handle this task, or do I need something more
> powerful?

Most of what you need to do can be done in composer. You will probably
need to use a little php3 but nothing outside a day or so learning.

> Do I need an HTML compliant database? CGI?

use php3 and save yourself a headack.

> Can Gnumeric function as a database?

Not for what you need.

Please let me know if you need any more info or suggestions.

-Chris