On 28 Jun 00, at 16:27, Dennis Myers wrote:

> can't get in to server because I had it set to Boot to X-server.  So
> both times I have had to re-install Linux as a new install, and since I
> haven't figured out how to back up data, I lose stuff.  Nothing real

Okay!! Set your init default to 3 , ie in /etc/inittab, set the
initdefault from 5(which starts the X server on boot) to 3.
Or, at lilo boot prompt(if you are using LILO), type linux 3.

> the x-server (Window in KDE)? How do I get back the server without
> re-install, I have tried to do just an update but that fails.  This is
> an annoying problem cause I thought  linux was more stable than this, or
> more likely it's something I am doing.  Any suggestions would be greatly

Linux is certainly more stable than many other operating
systems...maybe some of your X settings are not correct. If you can,
post what graphic device you are using, that is most likely to be the
culprit.

   __   _              Sthitaprajna | (at)mailandnews(dot)com
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a