In need some help from all you experts.  First, I am very new to Linux.  I have been a UNIX/C/Java programmer for sometime.  I thought it was time to try out this Linux thing.

I took one of my old computers and I am trying to install Linux on it.  Here is the error I am getting.

in second stage install
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
Thu Jan 29 23:28:10 2000 Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0 at /usr/bin/perl-nstall/my_gtk.pm line 139.
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
unmounting filesystems...
     /tmp/rhimage
     /proc
you may safely reboot your system

I am installing from the floppy that was provided with Linux-Mandrake v 7.0 Complete.  I am not even getting to the graphical interface.  Do I/Should I remake this floppy disk?

The computer is an old 486/66Mhz.  I have two harddrives one being 640 Meg and on 7.1 Gig.  I am running 32 Meg of RAM.  I am nut sure of the graphics card off the top of my head.  Is there a problem with the computer I am trying to install on?  The computer is currently running Windows 98.  I want to just install Linux and overwrite the Windows.  So, I am not partitioning the harddrive.  Do I need to partition the harddrive?  Do I need to re-format the harddrive prior to installing Linux?

All the help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Erik