What is the hardware configuration on the machine?  If your BIOS supports
booting from CDROM, then that is your best bet.

I personally have had more success with RedHat 6.1 on older systems. Mandrake
is more built for modern systems.

Fairly important: What graphics card are you using?

-David Talbot

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, you wrote:

> In need some help from all you experts.  First, I am very new to Linux.  I have been
>a UNIX/C/Java programmer for sometime.  I thought it was time to try out this Linux
>thing.
>
> I took one of my old computers and I am trying to install Linux on it.  Here is the
>error I am getting.
>
> in second stage install
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> Thu Jan 29 23:28:10 2000 Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0 at
>/usr/bin/perl-nstall/my_gtk.pm line 139.
> install exited abnormally
> sending termination signals...done
> sending kill signals...done
> unmounting filesystems...
>      /tmp/rhimage
>      /proc
> you may safely reboot your system
>
> I am installing from the floppy that was provided with Linux-Mandrake v 7.0
>Complete.  I am not even getting to the graphical interface.  Do I/Should I remake
>this floppy disk?
>
> The computer is an old 486/66Mhz.  I have two harddrives one being 640 Meg and on
>7.1 Gig.  I am running 32 Meg of RAM.  I am nut sure of the graphics card off the top
>of my head.  Is there a problem with the computer I am trying to install on?  The
>computer is currently running Windows 98.  I want to just install Linux and overwrite
>the Windows.  So, I am not partitioning the harddrive.  Do I need to partition the
>harddrive?  Do I need to re-format the harddrive prior to installing Linux?
>
> All the help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank You
> Erik
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-David Talbot
Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither. -B. Franklin