Well, first of all Mandrake 7.0 requires a Pentium Class CPU because it's
code is optimized for Pentium instructions. In the case that you got the
right version (for 486 which I'm not sure if it's out yet), then the problem
is with your graphics card.
I get problems with the display although I have a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
with 2MB RAM.
Forget the graphical installation, and make a boot disk using the
'txt_boot.img' (create it with rawrite).
This will start a text-mode installer which should be happy with whatever
graphics card you have.

    In need some help from all you experts.  First, I am very new to Linux.
I have been a UNIX/C/Java programmer for sometime.  I thought it was time to
try out this Linux thing.

    I took one of my old computers and I am trying to install Linux on it.
Here is the error I am getting.

    in second stage install
    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
    Thu Jan 29 23:28:10 2000 Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0 at
/usr/bin/perl-nstall/my_gtk.pm line 139.
    install exited abnormally
    sending termination signals...done
    sending kill signals...done
    unmounting filesystems...
         /tmp/rhimage
         /proc
    you may safely reboot your system

    I am installing from the floppy that was provided with Linux-Mandrake v
7.0 Complete.  I am not even getting to the graphical interface.  Do
I/Should I remake this floppy disk?

    The computer is an old 486/66Mhz.  I have two harddrives one being 640
Meg and on 7.1 Gig.  I am running 32 Meg of RAM.  I am nut sure of the
graphics card off the top of my head.  Is there a problem with the computer
I am trying to install on?  The computer is currently running Windows 98.  I
want to just install Linux and overwrite the Windows.  So, I am not
partitioning the harddrive.  Do I need to partition the harddrive?  Do I
need to re-format the harddrive prior to installing Linux?

    All the help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

    Thank You
    Erik
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]