Let me clarify my earlier posting.
1st (Primary) IDE controller
    drive jumpered as master = hda
    drive jumpered as slave = hdb
2nd (secondary) IDE controller
    drive jumpered as master = hdc
    drive jumpered as slave = hdd
Drive detection is a function of the motherboard CMOS, enable the position
that you lhave installed the new drive two (write down any configuration
information for your original drive for safe keeping); setting "auto"
generally works better than entering the new drives information in the hard
drive information area of CMOS (if your motherboard is new enough and
supports this).
    Master/slave is a function of jumpering the hard drive, not of the CMOS.
/66 operation has certain requirements for physical connection and
motherboard support if it is to operate.  DO NOT use an overlay (EZdrive,
et.al.) unless your motherboard will not support the full capacity of the
hard drive by itself.
    Adding a new hard drive to certain machines (Compaq, Packard Bell,......)
can be a problem, but "imaging" the drive will copy hidden partitions and may
be a sufficient solution.  Try it the regular way first, but maintain your
original hard drive intact.  If you run into problems booting, blow the
partitions on the new drive and "image" from the original.
    -Gary-