Hello All

Having tried various flavours of Linux (RH 5.2 - 6.1, SuSE 6.0 - 6.3)
I thought I'd try Mandrake. Followed my usual practice of clearing
some space(3.5G) on my 2nd drive using Partition Magic 3.0 and
running the installation CD. Everything seemed to go fine, quite
impressed in fact, then, as has happened with all the other distros,
graphics card gets probed and bye bye install. Never mind, been
there before, start clean and try again with text installer.

Problem.

PM 3.0 now tells me it doesn't recognise the 2nd drive's signature
(or words to that effect) so it's not going to play anymore. Win 95,
astonishingly, seems quite happy with it! It can see it's 1.3G FAT32
partition and doesn't seem concerned about anything else.
Just to see if the Mandrake installer could figure out what it had
done, tried it again only to be told my drive was corrupt and it was
giving up! (Once again words to that effect - this happened a few
weeks ago). Fdisk(DOS) and FIPS indicate some problems with
overlapping partition boundaries or something.

H/W setup:-
Gateway 2000 P5 200MMX 64M
Virge/VX 4M
Ensonic Soundscape VIVO 90
Fujitsu 6.4G, Maxtor 4.8G
2 brand X CDR.
TV card, modem, scanner etc.

There are obviously a number of possible solutions to the problem
which, being a byte botherer of too many years experience, I could
probably work out, but the question is:-

WHY DID IT HAPPEN?

Any clues anyone?
(Is this a known problem?)

Bye for now

Graham

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.