Linux-Mandrake actually has extremely detailed documentation on practically everything
dealing with Mandrake, including compiling and installing new kernels.

The overall Reference guide is at:
 http://www.linux-mandrake.com/guides71/en/mdkrefguide/index.html

And the section specifically pertaining to kernels is at:
 http://www.linux-mandrake.com/guides71/en/mdkrefguide/compiling.html

If you are looking for in depth explanations of anything having to do with Linux, then
The Linux Documentation Project is what you are looking for. They maintain the Linux
HOWTO's, and more in depth books on Network Administration, security, etc. If you want
to compile a kernel or know exactly what goes on in kernel creation, video cards,
monitors, databases, etc. the Linux HOWTO'S are the best source. These documents are
extremely well written and are described in fashion that any beginner, novice, and
expert can find useful. Here are a couple of  mirrors for it :

 http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/index.html
 http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

For the HOWTO specifically dealing with kernel compilation and customization:

 http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
 http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

I hope this helps (I'm doing my first new kernel tonight),

Victor