Hi,
        This is my first post as I just subscribed, so I'm sorry if I'm going over
old ground. I recently installed Mandrake 7.0 on a new disk in a PII 233Mhz
machine. I am trying to learn how to install packages from a "tarball" but
run into a problem when I try to run ./configure, it fails with the
following error:-

"checking whether C compiler (gcc) works....no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables"

I looked in the configure log and found the following, however I have no
idea what it's trying to tell me, am I missing a file (conftest or
conftest.c)?

"This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:562: checking for extra includes
configure:593: checking for extra libs
configure:692: checking host system type
configure:713: checking target system type
configure:731: checking build system type
configure:790: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:847: checking for -p flag to install
configure:870: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:908: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:954: checking for working aclocal
configure:967: checking for working autoconf
configure:980: checking for working automake
configure:993: checking for working autoheader
configure:1006: checking for working makeinfo
configure:1031: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:1125: checking for a C-Compiler
configure:1131: checking for gcc
configure:1237: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1253: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 1248 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);} "
I'd really appreciate any help, I've already "verified" that gcc is
installed correctly, but have no idea where to go from here!
Thanks
        Steven Cook