I've only been using Mandrake for about a week now, and find that depending on the
level of security selected during install, things like su-ing to root don't exactly
work as planned.

I wonder if: had you installed pmfirewall after su-ing to root from your normal user
account, if the ip-up.local file was restricted/ignored.

Knowing what fixed the problem, you can always go back and re-install pmfirewall
logged in directly as root, (having removed/commented out the line you entered) and
see what happens. You can always return it to how you've got it now.

--Greg