I use Pine myself, and as far as I know you cannot use it to
retreive POP type mail.  But working in tandem with
fetchmail and sendmail it works very well.  Pine's very
nature is that it was designed for people who read mail off
a local server spool, not remotely.  AFAIK this is true even
of the Pine for Windows.

Phil