Mike Koceja wrote:

> hello all.
> i am running Mandrake 7.1 and I have had a lot of
> problems getting kppp to work. So I ditched it and
> decided to use kwvdial. I downloaded the rpm installed
> it and everything seemed to be working nicely. It
> dials logsin and claims to have connected. The only
> problem is that when I go to open netscape it turns
> out that I'm not really connected after all. I am
> really at a loss here. I would hate to have to scrap
> Linuw now. I have everything else working nicely all I
> nedd is to be able to dialup and connect to the
> Internet. Please!!!! Someone help me out here.

> http://invites.yahoo.com/

I had a similar problem with Kppp on a ThinkPad running Caldera 2.4.
The modem card was a Hayes with a Lucent chipset and none of the stock
settings in COAS worked.  I got wvdial and it did the same thing you
describe.  So, the fix:

I used the Init and Command sequences that wvdial found for the modem in
the COAS Modem config.  It works fine now.

Bob W.