Mark Weaver wrote:

> yeah, but what about the people whos livelyhoods are earned by those
> songs? and what about the people who hold the copyrights to those
> songs. don't they deserve to have their material protected from being
> stolen? that IS in effect what napster does. TAKE those songs and
> distribute them for free. the owners of the copyright don't see a cent.
>
> --
> Mark

Not to start a flame-fest here, but think about it Mark; how often do
you here about the artists complaining?  Yes, there have been a few; but
most often you're hearing from the recording industry people, the ones
that promised that 'once the format pays for itself, the cost will come
way down for CD's'.  I don't know about you, but I'm still paying about
$17 for a compact disk that costs no more than about .05 cents to make!
If you look at the artists cut (somewhere about $3 - $5), where's the
rest of that money going to?  One more thing to look at, what about the
artists who have been sued by and attacked by the RIAA for trying to
release THEY'RE music in mp3 format?  I don't have a problem with paying
someone for their intellectual property, but in this case - are we?

To bring the topic back to this list, even though you're completely
capable of downloading the latest version of Mandrake 7.1 - have you
went ahead and bought a copy?  I'm on the cooker list and am using
mostly up to the minute releases from there, but on thinking about it
earlier this evening, I'm probably about due to head down and actually
fork over the cash to help support those guys that work so hard on this
product.

Mike
--
Mike & Tracy Holt