First, I would suggest that you download the RPM file rather than use the
updater (I read this in the update program or somewhere, can't remember)

Then install the kernel with RPM or Kpackage, so on.

Then, enter 'root' and edit your /etc/lilo.conf file, which is where you
found the new entries.  Ensure the new 'label' for the new kernel is not
too long (or you will get an error as I did), check the 'default' line to
point to the new kernel, exit and run 'lilo' and reboot, that's it!

Just make sure you leave your old kernel as an option always, just in case
something goes wrong.

Regards,

Ian McLeod