On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Mark Hillary wrote:
> >
> > Come on updating the kernel is not has hard as everyone makes out. (I find it
> > easyier that installing programs). There are several resons to. The kernel that
> > comes with mandrake haas about everything turned on, so you can have a faster
> > system by compling only what you need to. Also  because every thing is turned on
> > all of the moduals take up space. RECOMPLIE to get a faster machine and save
> > space. (not to mention the bug fixes, in newer versions)
>
> Well, it may not be a problem to you, but it is the cause of many
> headaches to me.  The last few times I've tried upgrading from 2.2.14 to
> 2.4.0-test5 I've hit the black screen of death straight after the
>
> Regards,
> Ozz.

    Mark's on track, updating a Mdk kernel is one of the easier
things involved with Mdk administration. It shouldn't be any
problem at all for any user, even the newest of newbies if they
first take a few minutes to visit with MOU (www.mandrakeuser.org)
and read the section on changing kernels. The whole site is
available as a download (.tar.gz, updated monthly) so it's easy to
keep it as a help guide to refer to while you're actually tryin to
follow it's instructions.

   "-test5" Should be a glaring warning, among the many warnings
that only 2.2.xx kernels are stable, that a successful swap to a
2.4.xx kernel is froth with risk.  Getting back to 2.2.xx kernels,
about the only reason to change the default Mandrake config is if
you have special, difficult, or newest of new hardware that isn't
supported normally. Most stuff in the 'stock Mandrake' kernel is
included as a module if it's not fairly standard, so eliminating it
will not make your system faster in all but the rarest of cases,
and then usually old or substandard hardware would be the reason.

--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]