Romanator wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know Paul has answered this briefly but... Has any one been
> successfull in adding an entry to the  Boot.ini file of WIndows NT4? I
> would like to see if NT4 will allow me to boot to Linux?
>
> I always thought that Windows cannot see the Linux partitions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roman
> Registered Linux User #179293

Really easy... first you need to boot into linux and move lilo to your /
directory or your /boot directory, whichever one you're using.  Do this
by editing the first line in /etc/lilo.conf to point to /dev/hda(x) (x
being the partition number that your boot or / directory lives on) and
then run lilo to set your changes.  Next, do:

dd if=/dev/hda(x) of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

This will drop a bootable image called bootsect.lnx into the directory
that you're sitting in when you run the command.  Copy this file to your
NT or Windows 'C' partition.

Finally, add a line to the bottom of your boot.ini file like this:

C:\bootsect.lnx="whatever_you_want"

Save the file and exit.  Next time you boot, you should see the NT
bootloader giving you the option to boot into Linux.

Make sure you comment out the 'prompt' and 'timeout' lines in lilo.conf
before you do the 'dd' step so you won't have to answer questions on
both bootloaders.

Mike