I don't know if this is the sort of answer you are looking
for, but here goes.

My ISP is io.com.  It runs on Red Hat Linux and uses Apache
for its web hosting.  Of course, many ISP's use some variant
of Unix in the guts of their operations.  The difference
would be that there is at least one tech support person who
can answer questions from people using Linux on the desktop.

My ISP has a telnet option.  For $9.95 or so a month anyone
in the U.S. (or world for that matter) can have a shell
access to io.com's computer.  This assumes you already have
local dial-up connectivity, because dialing directly (via
minicom or seyon for example) would cost big bucks in phone
charges.

As part of my package I have the shell option.  I can use
ssh to log into their computer, read mail, surf the web with
lynx, play games, read usenet, and even use IRC -- hey, it's
safer to chat via someone else's computer!

I have even fired up mc during a session or two.  I have not
tried but I suspect many system config files cannot be read
by a logged-in user.  It would be interesting to find out,
but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my
account. ;-)

Phil