You need to configure demand dial... if your version of ppp is compatible
(and, sorry, I don't have a modem on my mandrake box to find out--check your
/var/log/messages file after dial-up, and you should see something like
"pppd (demand-dial)" in there) then you can try adding the following lines
to /etc/ppp/options:

demand
:10.0.0.0
idle 300

the "demand" obviously sets demand dialing. ":10.0.0.0" satisfies the need
for an IP address until one is leased, and "idle 300" will cause a
disconnection after 5 minutes of idleness (in seconds).

The other option is to use diald. You can get this through freshmeat.net,
but after I read the installation directions, I left it alone... It looked a
bit complicated to me. I found ssh-ing into my firewall to type "/sbin/ifup
ppp0" every time an easier method. <big grin>

But, now I owe life, land, and kinsman to cablevision for my connection, and
no longer have to bring up a modem interface.

--Greg

> I've two computers. One box is set up as a
> gateway/proxy/ipmasquerating/etc. which I connect to the net via dialup. I
> surf from my main computer which is connected to this gateway box via
ethernet.
> This all works fine.
>
> BTW, the "Demos" tutorials on the Mandrake site were instrumental in
helping me
> get networking, firewall and ipmasquerading set up.
>
> My question is how can I start the modem, which is connected to the
gateway,
> from my personal workstation; i.e. how can I dialup from my workstation if
the
> modem is connected to the gateway. I hope that's clear.  ;-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Stan

message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris (bookmarks)-forums
Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)