Title: RE: Re[2]: [newbie] OT Linux gaming OT

>> But - seriously - with the right parts Linux is very easy to install.

> This doesn't seem ok, having to choose my hardware according to what
> OS I want to use.

You are absolutely correct.  I wish I could run Win98 on my Amiga.  For that matter, it would be really neat if I could run Win2000 on my Mac.  :)

Disclaimer:  I'm far from a *nix expert.  I've only been using Linux on a regular basis for a couple of months.  I actually like Windoze.  I've been a computer geek for 19 years playing with various hardware during that time.  So I found your comment quite humorous.

No OS is going to work on every piece of hardware.  It just isn't going to happen.  In order to get the most stable system you want, you need to match your hardware to your OS.  All the big boys do it.  That is why Dell/Gateway/whoever won't support a workstation that was sold with Win98 but now has Win2000.  We deal with this constantly at work...

I also wonder if there is any other OS that supports as many different architectures as Linux (x86 - PCs, 68k - Mac / Amiga, PPC - Mac / whoknows, and countless others).

Just my $.02...

Jon