Thanks Mark - it actually worked! So far I've only tried the method of
clicking on the .exe from the file manager and specifying to open with
Wine, but I'm going to experiment. Couldn't get most of my regular programs
to work properly - some games complained about the lack of DirectX 6 being
installed, and many others seemed to think that they had just been
installed - I guess they couldn't find the path to their configuration
files. Probably all to be expected though, at this point. Sure was strange
to see them startup in Linux though! Even more strange - one program that
nearly always crashes Windows when something goes wrong - it locked up, but
this time all I had to do was "Kill" it!