----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mariotti, a.k.a Vercingitorix, a.k.a [ChaOz]-Enigma"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2000 11:20 AM
Subject: [newbie] Installing Linux-Mandrake 7.1 on Windows Me

> Is there a way around the idiotic no MS-DOS program installed to
demoralize
> users on Windows Me, aside from uninstalling? I just bought this thing,
> mainly because I wasn't that impressed with Red Hat. However, I can not
> install due to Window's Me. I'm thinking I could just boot from CD and
> install that way, like I did with Red Hat, but not totally sure, as there
is
> two CD's and don't want to mess anything up.. Oh, for clarification's
sake,
> here's my specs
>
> AMD K6/2 500 Mhz
> ASUS P5A Mobo
> Diamond Viper V770 (AGP) 32 MB
> Diamond Multimedia Sound II (MX2000)
> U.S Robotics 56K v.90
> 160 MB SDRAM PC100
> 15 GB HD
> 3.5 GB HD (Empty, where I want to put Mandrake)
> Generic IDE 40X CD-ROM
> Microsoft Force Feedback Pro Joystick
>
> I think that about covers it, I think the only problems with my Hardware
> will be the Sound Card and the Modem, didn't see 'em in the compatibility
> list. Though if anyone knows of a patch or other technicall thingie, it
> would be most appriciated. First things first though, I need to get the
'lil
> bugger installed *winks*
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I'm running ME and 7.1 on a 10gig hd (C) with no problems. I did buy the
Deluxe edition (7 CD's) with a boot floppy included. You may need to use
 rawrite (from the CD) to copy  the image file to a floppy for installation.
There are readme files on the install CD that tell you how to make a boot
floppy.
I installed ME first and then 7.1. I use the grub bootloader included in 7.1
(default) and it all works as expected. Use the first sector of drive (MBR)
if
you want to use grub as your bootloader if you install on the boot HD.

The included boot floppy includes the following files:

BOOT.MSG
CDROM.RDZ
HELP.MSG
KS.CFG
LDLINUX.SYS
SYSLINUX....
VMLINUX

My system is:
AMD k6/2 450
128 meg Ram
Nvidia Vanta 32 meg
Soundblaster 16
Acer CDRW
24x CD-Rom
Aceex 56k modem (internal)
Sony Tape Backup
ALN 325 Network adapter
10gig HD (ME and 7.1)
3.5gig HD (storage for other stuff)
Mitsumi scroll mouse

Let me know if you want a copy of the boot disk. I can zip it up and
email it to you. Just reply to my email address listed in the signature
file at the bottom.

chris

   Dual Boot Windows Millennium/Mandrake 7.1 (helium)
 Home of the BURMA CAVE! BBS. 24/7 dial up 520-772-4551
  An Excalibur Communication System GUI Bulletin Board
   Registered Linux user 184803          ICQ 1724999
                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]