"Rathgeb, Mathew MP STAC" wrote:

> Subject: [newbie] Installing Linux-Mandrake 7.1 on Windows Me
>
> Is there a way around the idiotic no MS-DOS program installed to demoralize
> users on Windows Me, aside from uninstalling? I just bought this thing,
> mainly because I wasn't that impressed with Red Hat. However, I can not
> install due to Window's Me. I'm thinking I could just boot from CD and
> install that way, like I did with Red Hat, but not totally sure, as there is
> two CD's and don't want to mess anything up.. Oh, for clarification's sake,
> here's my specs
>
> Im running Windows ME also and just successfully installed LM 7.1  from the
> bootable CD. Grub works like a charm for dual booting. I have had problems
> with my soundcard config  though. didnt work at all at first but after
> running sndconfig it kinda works.. it at least plays the test sounds and
> will play music cds . I just cant get the system sounds working in KDE or
> Gnome.

I have _NO_ experience with Windows ME - (only DOS, W95 and W98) BUT!!!!
Surely you are able by some means to build an MSDOS boot floppy with
suitable CDROM drivers on it to enable you to get to a point where you
can
begin the install process that way.

If you don't have the software to do this them email me directly
for a zipped up version of a dos boot floppy and instructions as
to how to do that part.

Cheers

John