> > Frankly, I'm getting tired of people and their bloated sense of
> > self-importance on this list, and have made up my mind that in a week, if bashing
>and flaming doesn't all settle down, I'm leaving.

Greg...I've left several conferences because I felt that the
signal/noise ratio became unbearable so I can understand your
feelings.  On the other hand, this conference seems to have a few
people who have dubbed themselves list monitor, have set up their own
rules as to what's "proper" and have acted accordingly.  In doing so
they quickly label themselves as fools and it's always best to ignore
fools.

To decrease your own blood pressure, simply take their names and stick
them in a filter that deletes any msg coming from them.  You'll be
amazed at how quickly you can get reduce the "bashing and flaming"
that you see here.

> > been able to provide assistance, but the fact is that there should be
> > absolutley no need to instruct new list members in methods of acceptable
> > conduct.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of the Internet.  Not only are many
people new to Linux, they're new to writing/interacting in public
forums.  Many things get said and actions taken that would never
happen if all of us were standing in a hall talking about Linux.
Somehow, people need to learn that the 'standing in a hall' model is
what's going on here and that the same common courtesy towards other
humans that would be given in such a forum should be applied here.
Further, we also need to learn electronic ways of "walking away" from
those few guys who are anti-social.  Filters are your feet in this
case.

So, leave discussions containing people who irritate you but don't
leave the party.

> > For those who appreciate my help, if I do in fact leave you may continue to write
>me off-list. But as things has been going, there is simply not much here to keep me
>anymore.

I appreciate anyone who's willing to write information here about
using Linux.  They can write it in English, German, French or Swahili,
though I'll only benefit personally if it's in French or English
(grin).

Cheers --- Larry