> Kandace Little wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> My modem will not work no matter what  I do. I have followed
> some of the suggestion that come through the list but none
> worked. I thought I would tell you all what the problem is and
> maybe somebody could come up with something.
>
> First about the modem:
> ----------------------------------
> It is a 33.6 USRobotics Faxmodem, External. There are a lot
> of switches on the back of it and I am not sure what they are for.
> I am going to list in order what they are for. Maybe this will help
> figure out why it won't work in Linux.
>
> 1. UP - Data Terminal Ready normal
>     Down - Data terminal ready override
>
> 2. UP - Verbal result codes
>    Down - Numeric result codes
>
> 3. UP - Suppress results codes
>     Down - Display results codes
>
> 4. UP - ECHO offline commands
>    Down - No echo, offline commands
>
> 5. UP - Auto answer on the first ring, or higher if specified in NVRAM
>   Down - Auto answer off
>
> 6. UP - Carrier detect normal
>    Down - Carrier detect override
>
> 7. UP- Load NVRAM defaults
>    Down - Load factory defaults
>
> 8. Up - Dumb mode
>     Down - Smart mode
>
> That is all for the modem now on to the problem..

Leave those switches alone for the time being

> My modem is in COM4 but when I use kppp it tells me my modem
> is busy, not uncommon I see. when I switch the device to COM1 or
> ttyS0 it will say, Modem is ready then it stops on Initializing and
> goes no father. Even the query works when on ttyS0, not sure why.
> I did a /proc/pci and found out that my port is 0x1850 and the IRQ is
> 5.

Firstly - how do know your modem is on com4?

When you restart your machine from a cold boot you should see
a panel which shows serial and parallel device info. If you hit
the pause key on your keyboard you should be able to halt the boot
process so you can copy the data down. I want to know what your BIOS
tells us about your serial and parallel ports - ok?. You may
restart the boot process by tapping your space bar.

Once again - what type of mouse do you have - serial or USB ?

Try this and come back to us and we'll go from there

Cheers

John

Ps - could you disable the html in your mailer makes it a bit hard
for my old colour deficiant eyes...

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]