> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Trevor Reynolds wrote:
>
> I don't do it graphically. I use a perl script called multiseti.pl.
Its
> parameters let me do all I need;
>
> -status to show what it is doing
> -connect to send the processed units and get new ones
> -work to run seti on the units
>
> And it can be configured to download upto 10 units and work on them.
:)

Now THAT would be useful!

At the moment, I run two SETI clients on the same machine
simultaneously, in /Seti/Seti00 and /Seti/Seti01.  I run them both with
the -verbose switch under separate logins so that I can see their
progress (I switch between them with alt-f2 and alt-f3).  These take
about 20 hours each to complete, so I am uploading results/grepping new
work units on average every 10 hours.

However, my main Internet connection is currently ADSL, with a USB modem
that is NOT recognised by Linux.  Therefore I have to log out of the
ADSL account (currently hooked up to my Wife's Windoze machine, hence
all my posts from Outlook Express) and connect with the dial-up 56k
modem to transfer work units.  At the moment, if I'm not connected when
a work unit is completed, the instance just busywaits...

What I could REALLY use is something that does the following (please let
me know if your perl script does the trick!):

1. Downloads, say, 10 work units when I connect to the Internet.
2. Lets my two SETI instances process these one at a time, STORING the
results.
3. Blobs ALL the completed results back to SETI the next time I connect,
and greps new work units.

Now, there are two shell scripts on SETI's web site called FetchCache
and RunCache - I'm not sure if they would do the trick, as my knowledge
of shell scripting is pretty poor.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Ozz.