[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> when I try to install an rpm from the Command
> line (Konsole)and I type :"./configure " ,or " make" ,"xmkmf" the konsole
>  tells me :"No such file or directory,or Command not found,no target
> ,stop? all I want to do is install the driver for my sound card
> (alsa)following the instructions but it doesn't worked and other staff
> that downloaded it.

You seem to be confused about package management.  Briefly, if you have
source code for a program (pure source code not a name.src.rpm) then
you'll use ./configure ; make ; make install ; make clean to compile the
program.  However, rpms don't use any of those commands.  With rpm's you
do things a bit differently.  For instance, if the rpm file you have is
larrysgame.version.src.rpm you'll typically "build or make" ... not sure
which is the more correct term in this case ... with the command

rpm --rebuild larrysgame.version.src.rpm

and if everything goes correctly you'll now have a rpm file in
/usr/src/somewhere.  Read the last couple of lines of output to know
exactly where.  Then at this point you can go to this directory and type

rpm -Uvh larrysgame.version.rpm

If all goes well you'll have the new application ready to run and the
rpm database will have been updated.  For more info check 'man rpm'.

--
Larry Hignight          Descent 3 Beta Tester          Caldera Linux 2.4
 12:45am  up 1 day,  8:49,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00