as one newbie to another ---
to install a RPM you use 'rpm' -- not any of those other commands.  such as:
rpm -ivvh file_to_install-1.0.8.i586.rpm
also, you have to be either root or super user (that got me a few times)
does any of this help you??

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11:44:19 AM 9/21/00 >>>
Grace and peace to all of you from our Lord!
And thanks for your great effort , helping us so patiently ,ex planing
and teaching and supporting each person directly or not directly with
your answers. From which I learned
couple things.
Perhaps my next question is a matter of common sense,which I strongly
practice,but I realize that common sense is not so common to everyone not
always and I admit it starting with me. So forgive us and forgive me.
Now can you tell me why ?when I try to install an rpm from the Command
line (Konsole)and I type :"./configure " ,or " make" ,"xmkmf" the konsole
 tells me :"No such file or directory,or Command not found,no target
,stop? all I want to do is install the driver for my sound card
(alsa)following the instructions but it doesn't worked and other staff
that downloaded it.
Any suggestions?
Your help will be gratefully welcome ,thanks. Blessings
Carlos