I am completely new to Linux, and thoroughly confused, so please forgive my
naivete.

My system:

    Video:    ATI Rage/RageII PCI (ati_m64)
    Sound:   VIA PCI Audio Controller (Onboard)
    Modem: 5634BTS 56K Video Ready Modem (Hardware) Manuf: Texas Inst.
    LAN:     Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
    MB:       VIA EPox EP-7KXA
    PRO:    AMD Athlon Slot-A 650 MHz
    RAM:    128 PC-100 SDRAM
    HD1:     20GB Maxtor
    HD2:     15GB WD

First Question:

I recently tried to install Linux-Mandrake 6.5 or 6.2 (Whichever the case
may be, the cover says both) I already have Win 98, Win 2K, and Win NT on
this computer, so I bought another hard drive for Linux.  I used Partition
commander to create a Linux partition on the second hard drive (Both a
regular linux partition, and a swap partition).  I installed it according to
the rules, but LILO won't install.  I can boot it from the boot disk that I
created, but I can't boot it otherwise.  I tried to read up on it in the
manual, but that's in a different language.

Second question:

I booted Linux with the boot disk, and the GUI takes up more than my screen.
I can go to the right, left, up, or down with the mouse and it will follow
it, but it really seems strange.  Is this normal?