When you run 'ifconfig' does it show up as eth0 or something like that? If
not you might try using netcfg to setup the networking to know about the
ethernet card and your connections settings.

*^*^*^*
Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sungod robes
 on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little
pickles at you? -- Real Genius