On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Joan Tur wrote:
> Paul escribió:
>
> > It was Oct 14, 2000, 17:59, when Joan Tur keyboarded:

> > >Er... i'm not able to install the downloaded .rpm.  I get an error
> > >message: "package opera-4.0b1-1 is for a different architecture"  8-?
> >
> > Very strange, Larry also had that. And I popped the RPM in the system,
> > nothing complained. It works.
>
> No problem.  I choosed to download a rpm but i see that what comes with
> the tar.gz is the executable.  It works... that's all  ;)
>

> --
> Joan Tur. Ibiza - Spain
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ 11407395
> Joan.Tur.pagina.de  Club.Ibosim.pagina.de
> Linux: usuari registrat 190.783

use the uname command 'uname -m' .  This will give you the machine
hardware type.  I got the same message also and also had the tarball install
with no problem.  I do not know the details of rpm building but I wonder if you
can build one that checks the machine hardware type and not install if it is
not what is is looking for....

(Mine BTW is i686 and the package would not install with rpm v3.0.4)

--
D.M.(Mike) Mattix
[EMAIL PROTECTED]