> /etc/profile has a comment that PATH is taken care of by Mandrake Security.
> Removing the # and adding dirs has no affect on the path. Could someone point
> out:

You didn't say why you wanted to change the path but I think you're
looking in the wrong place.

> 1) Where Mandrake hides the ability to update the path

Who's path?  If you want the default user path changed, change
/etc/bashrc.  If you want to change your user path, make changes to
.bashrc in your home directory.

> 2) Where this and other differences in Mandrake vs popular Linux how-to books
> are documented

I've found that most of what you read in Red Hat books applies to Mandrake
as well.  They don't cover stuff like DrakConf of course but all the
"real" system stuff is there.

3) Is it a standard *nix security configuration to not search the current
> directory? Most annoying for an OS/2, Win32, DOS based person.

<grin>...I recall an explanation of this at one point but I can't recall
it.  For my user account, I've got .: as the first entry in my path (in my
.bashrc file)

> 4) Where should I set other env vars so I don't have to run *.sh scripts to set
> / export env vars before running programs I've installed.

Two things here.  The path change will cause them to be "available" but if
you want to run them as though they are executable, you have to make sure
they have their execute bits set.  Quite often shell scripts are
distributed without this being the case.  If you're only going to run it
once (like during an install), it might be easier to use "sh install.sh"

Cheers --- Larry