> 3) Is it a standard *nix security configuration to not search the
> current
> > directory? Most annoying for an OS/2, Win32, DOS based person.
>
> <grin>...I recall an explanation of this at one point but I can't
> recall

There's an answer to this in the comp.unix.questions faq. The example
they give is that in a publicly available directory like /tmp, there
*might* be an executable named "ls". If the current directory is in
your path you would execute that, with unexpected results. Paranoia,
unless your sysop on a large system with many playful lusers. See
item 2.13 in

http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/unix-faq/faq/part2.html

for further details.

Be sure to read

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/sysadmin-recovery.html

as well. We're all sysops now, at least for ourselves. What are you
using as your LART?