Hi --

Mandrake 7.0 runs on a laptop -- I regularly use it on my Toshiba satellite.  But I
have discovered that it does not like to run on
less than 64 mb memory.  Others on this list have suggested that this isn't so, but I
have had several bad experiences where
6.1 would run but 7.0 would not.  Also, a 700 MB hard drive is a bit light.  It would
probably load, but you wouldn't have any
room to do anything.

pete

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:54:07 -0600, Carlton Dodd wrote:

> (Second sending, Hoping to catch someone's attention who's done this)
>
>Anyone have any work-arounds to install LM 7.0 on a laptop?
>
>I have an old Texas Instruments P75 laptop with 40MB RAM and a 700MB HDD.
>

>I have two questions:
>
>1. Is this laptop sufficient for running Linux?  With a GUI?
> I will devote the system completely to Linux if I need to, but I'd  love
>to be able to run a dual-boot if there's enough space so I can learn that
>as well.
>
>2. How do I actually install from the CD?
>Unfortunately, I cannot simply boot from the CD like you can on newer
>machines.  The install instructions say to just make a boot floppy and
>then install from the CD, but my laptop only allows me to install one
>drive (CD or Floppy) at a time.  And I have to shut off the machine in
>between.   Can I make a floppy that will install enough so I can shut
>down, swap to the CD drive, and go from there?
>
>Thanks for any help you can give,
>Carlton

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115
Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7200