> > While Windows has taken "unpredictable" to a new high, it's none of the
> > Windows software drivers are even loaded when Linux is running so you're
> > right; their residence on a hard drive won't affect anything.  You're also
> > right that changing the BIOS will affect Linux.
>
> this maybe true, however you can get info using the inf file found in windows
> about a peice of hardware that the hardware sometimes wont tell you. This is
> the case with pci cards sure linux detects its there but doesnt allways

I think the significant thing in this thread (about whether removing
Windows drivers would help Linux)  is whether Linux can get any
information from Windows device drivers.  I'd submit the answer is, as I
suggested, no.

> detect what it is, or who made it. So using windows to find a known driver or
> using key things like serial or model numbers you can sort through the text

Gee...I have that stuff written down in my computer log book...don't you
(grin)?

Cheers --- Larry