OK, usually, .gz files are also what are called "tarballs". If after the
gunzip, you are left with a *.tar file, you need to untar the file package.
Use:   tar -xvf filename

Tar is a utility to package a folder or combination of files into a single
file. It does this withouth compression. gzip does the compression. You can
read about tar by typing:  man tar  (use  ':q' to exit)

the tar utility will extract the files to a directory, usually called
something almost exactly like the name of the file. Whe you type  ls  it
should appear in blue, as a directory (white is a standard/non-executable
file, red is an rpm package, green is an executable file, light blue is a
link, etc...)

cd to the new directory and there should be one or both of README and
INSTALL.  Use whichever text editor you like to view these (vi is always
present in an installation, although some don't like it--it's the only one
*I* use). Type:  vi README,  or vi INSTALL.  use the arrow keys to navigate,
and the same  colon-q (:q) to quit.

Follow the directions in the two files.

For the ppp problem, you may have configured the ISP information
incorrectly. In terminal, su to root (type  su   and enter root's
passwrod--of course I'm assuming you do the right thing and avoid logging in
as root all the time)

Type   linuxconf   and under networking|basic host information|ppp/slip/plip
enter all your information: phone # username, password (secret) DNS IP
addresses, etc. click quit|quit|activate changes, and you should be done.

Let me know what you had done previously to configure your ISP info, and
I'll be better prepared to tell you what is lacking or incorrect.

--Greg

--Greg