I have a DSL line at home.  Tried setting up a new machine
(ASUS P5A w/ onboard audio, AMD K6-2/400, 32MB, 8G disk,
S3 video, 3Com 3C905B ethernet adapter, Cisco 675 DSL box)
with the "development" option on Mandrake 7.1 (the main
"installation" CD only, downloaded from the Old Dominion
University mirror in Virginia late last week).

The distribution determined the correct ethernet card type,
asked for an IP, the gateway IP, primary DNS, and the netmask.
I gave it correct values (verified by a coworker whose home
machine setup is similar).

Nothing happens when I try to get outside the box.  I have
tried pinging the gateway IP, as well as telnetting out to
known addresses for my ISP.  The little yellow lights on the
DSL doohickey don't flash under any circumstance, although
the green lights all do.

I have tried swapping the card with one in my Win95 machine,
and both cards work under Win95, but neither works under 7.1

Any ideas?  At this point I am assuming it is a driver problem.
Is the 3C905 driver known to work under 7.1?  I remember that
Caldera didn't support this card in one of their releases about
six months ago.

         Thanks,

         Michael